Welcome to the Thüringer Vogtland
A BEAUTIFUL REGION IN THE HEART OF EUROPE
The first settlements in the Vogtland were of Slavonic origin. In the 12th century, Emperor Friedrich I Barba-rossa appointed the first Vogts as administrators of his eastern territories, with their ancestral seat being Osterburg Castle in Weida. The city of Weida is thus also known as the “cradle of the Vogtland? The descendants of the Vogts at Weida – the Reuß princes – left behind numerous palaces and ornate buildings. The Vogtland extends over the neighbouring states of Thuringia, Saxony, Bavaria and Bohemia.
The Thuringian Vogtland offers not only beautiful scenery, but also cultural highlights, health treatments and plenty of opportunity for active recreation. Nature-lovers, walkers, bike-riders, riders and sailors are all very welcome. The region is home to a population who are renowned for their warm hospitality. Excellent accommodation to suit every pocket can be found at the numerous hotel, B&Bs, guesthouses or with private landlords.
Rivers and streams accompany the hiker through the district of Greiz. A fresh breeze is rising out of the reservoirs, particularly when the day is sunny and a little bit windy. A special point of attraction for lovers of swimming as well as water sportsmen is the Leisure Park Albersdorf situated near a reservoir with a high water quality. Only three kilometres away from there the small village Berga nestles into the gentle slopes of the valley Elsteraue. Its landmark is a more than 350-year-old oak and in particular the market-place created like a small town park.
At the fountain in front of the town hall you can see the well – known figure of the town Zeulenroda, the “carp whistler" with the following story:
In the past, the citizens of Zeulenroda were liable to taxation to the principality of Reuss. Their taxations ware the finest carps from the cleanest fish-pond waters. But during a festive wedding in the castle the citizens from Zeulenroda should be fobbed off with carps form the greatest sludge of the waters from Greiz whereupon the citizens of Zeulenroda said: “We don`t give a damn about (pfeifen) your carps! i and from then an they received the nickname “Karpfenpfeifer‘.
Another reservoir is situated near the town Zeulenroda. In the Middle Ages this town was already a famous market-place. About 1750, the town gained worldwide fame as a stronghold of hosiery. One can visit the town museum and learn something about the 170- year-old tradition of the furniture production. It is worth walking to the recreational area Rabensleite, a small forest with an enclosure of animals and a tourist cafe.
The old venerable town Weida is called “Cradle of the Vogtland“. Its landmark is the fortress Osterburg (1163- 1193). Its outstanding terraced keep with a height of 54 metres belongs to the oldest keeps of Germany in good condition. Until the late Middle Ages the fortress Osterburg was the ancestral seat of the landvogts, who had to administer the empire into the east direction on behalf of the Emperor Frederic 1 Barbarossa. The house of Reuss came from the landvogts and lords of Weida. Every last weekend in June the citizens of Weida celebrate the festival of the Osterburg and the region with a proper festivity in the fortress. You can come to Weida all year round and visit the museum of the fortress and the art galleries.
The town of Weida possesses two remarkable architectural jewels: the town hall built in the High Renaissance style, and the house Pfeifersches Haus.
a landscape with variety
And it has one unique technical monument in the Thuringian region: the 28 metres high and 185 metres long viaduct Oschütztalviadukt. For 99 years, railway trains were rolling over this bridge. Another technical monument is situated only a few kilometres from there and near the reservoir Aumatalsperre - a steam hammer works from the year 1770. It was in operation until 1921. Weida is known because of its name “Kuchen-Weide“ (cake-Weida) which has survived all ages. In the past the regiment of Thuringia were called “Kuchenfresser“ (greedyguts of cake) by their enemies. Today the “cake market of Weida“ - a market festival with the election of the “Cake woman of Weida“ as its highlight - attracts thousands of visitors each year in September.
Wünschendorf has a history of more than 1000 years. Several interesting historical places are a testimony of times long past: the church Veitskirche, founded in 974, the roofed, wooden bridge, built in the 13th century near the mountain Veitsberg, and above all the monastery of Mildenfurth. The Landvogt Heinrich the Rich of Weida had a monastery built in 1193. Even today the visitor looking at the relics of the monastery church can gain an impression of the splendour of the famous Romanesque building. The little visitors of Wünschendorf are very enthusiastic about the enchanting “Märchenwald“ (fairywood) with its fountains. The coloured wooden figures and scenes are moved through the water of the stream Kamnitzbach and arouse the imagination. You can reach the “Märchenwald“ on foot or going out in a boat from a gondola station upstream the river The idyllic surroundings of the locality where one can find rare and protected plants invite to walking.